The Terminal operates under a robust Environment and Sustainability framework.
World-Class Terminal Management
The terminal has been operating for 35 years, safely, responsibly and efficiently exporting high quality thermal and metallurgical coal from Queensland mines to the world.
Our on-site operation and maintenance contractor, Abbot Point Operations is responsible for the safe operation of the terminal, which involves transferring product onto awaiting ships for export after the product is delivered by train from mines across the Bowen Basin. Ship loaders load product into the ship's locked and sealed cargohold. Dust management controls are also in place throughout the terminal.
Movement of ships in and out of the terminal is controlled and monitored by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, Maritime Safety Queensland's Coastal Vessel Traffic Service and Reef Vessel Traffic Service to ensure shipping is conducted safely and designated shipping channels are used.
Protecting our Local Environment
North Queensland Export Terminal has operated for more than 35 years adjacent to protected terrestrial and marine environments.
The terminal is committed to protecting the local environmental and operates under ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System accreditation requirements. All works are undertaken in strict compliance with environmental requirements and the terminal operator works closely with approval bodies to ensure all activities are managed appropriately in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
NQXT seeks to achieve its environmental and sustainability objectives by:
- Encouraging the efficient use of water and energy, recycling of materials, reduction of waste and prevention of pollution
- Improving management of greenhouse emissions and energy efficiency
- Implementing and maintaining an Environmental Management System in accordance with ISO 14001:2015
- Complying with environmental legislation and other requirements
- Completing regular reviews of environmental performance and identify and implement opportunities for improvement
- Promoting initiatives, systems, values and behaviours that drive environmental sustainability
- Displaying strong leadership in environmental management internally and with our stakeholders
- Provide a working environment that delivers on our environmental commitments.
In the last three years alone, NQXT has undertaken various projects for enhancing the terminal water management infrastructure. These projects have engaged a range of state and local government bodies, engineering experts and construction professionals to deliver benefits to the terminal including:
- Improved water quality monitoring
- Improvements to natural rainfall harvesting to support operations
- Controlling the impact of extreme weather events to mitigated environmental impacts on the adjacent land areas.
Further upgrades will be delivered by 2021, including additional key water management infrastructure improvements located throughout the terminal.
We are pleased to see this work is already helping us to deliver positive environmental outcomes for the Caley Valley Wetlands.
Supporting our Community
NQXT’s contract for on-site operation and maintenance of the terminal was awarded to Abbot Point Operations Pty Ltd (APO) in 2016. Abbot Point Operations acquired the previous operations and maintenance workforce, ensuring continuity of employment for the Bowen community.
NQXT has a community investment program in place which is led by the Terminal Operator – APO.
The purpose of this program has been to identify opportunities for the Terminal and its contractors to create a positive social impact through supporting a range of community groups and activities in the areas of health, education, environment and viable communities.
This is an adaptive program and continues to be developed and refined through annual monitoring and reporting, in consultation with government, community and key stakeholders.
The 2020 community service programs include
- Employment of the Youth Coordinator, Bowen PCYC
- Extension of the Guidance Officer service and Community Support Officer across Collinsville Schools
- Construction of a multipurpose facility for Merinda State School
- Provision of back to school supplies for families in need
Health and Safety
NQXT is committed to providing and maintaining the highest health and safety standards for all workers, contractors and visitors and we work with the Terminal Operator APO to support the implementation of safety working practices and workplace culture.
APO has a long-standing Safety Management System, accredited to AS/NZS ISO 45001:2018 and has an active safety program whose priorities are to:
- Ensuring the safety and well-being of staff, contractors and stakeholders as per commitments under NQXT Occupational Health & Safety policy.
- Meeting our regulatory requirements with respect to Workplace Health and Safety
- Promoting a positive workplace culture with regards to health, safety and wellbeing.
- Achieving a diverse and engaged workforce
NQXT has established a Safety Management System with third party accreditation of the system to AS/NZS ISO 45001:2018 being sought by the end of 2020.
Modern Slavery Statement
Our annual Modern Slavery Statement is made under the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth).
Our Statement describes the Risks of Modern Slavery in NQXT Group’s business, steps we have taken and planning of the next steps to be taken during the financial year, to identify, manage and mitigate the risks in our operations and supply chains and how we evaluate the effectiveness of our responses.
Our Statement for the year ended 31 March 2021 can be found below:
The Terminal holds a range of approvals in relation to onshore and offshore operations and the planning and zoning that underpins the Terminal infrastructure and supporting infrastructure such as roads, power, water and rail access.
Compliance with these requirements is non-negotiable and integrated into our commercial and operational agreements.
Both NQXT and APO are committed to ensure our activities comply with approvals and relevant regulations and legislation.